Literacy advocates with a deep passion for books-bestselling author Donalyn Miller and 5th grade teacher Colby Sharp-showcase the power of children”s access to books, providing teachers and administrators with the tools and information they need to increase children”s meaningful engagement with books and to launch or sustain book access initiatives in their communities.
Through research and testimonials from voices in the field and their own classroom experiences, Miller and Sharp provide practical and resourceful information on a range of topics, including examples of successful school and classroom libraries, the power of book ownership, the importance of access to culturally diverse books, and meaningful family-community reading engagement.
In Game Changer! You”ll Find:
- Years of independent reading classroom program know-how and research for educators at every level.
- Routines, rituals, and lessons for developing a community of readers in schools and classrooms.
- Practical tips on ways to develop children”s positive reading identities, reading engagement, and academic growth.
- Tactics to increase access to and use of diverse children”s and young adult literature and an appreciation for its role in children”s literacy development.
- Suggestions for fostering independent reading habits at school and at home.